Prom season has finally arrived! As a parent, you may be excited for your teen to experience this night full of dancing and fun. However, we can imagine that you have mixed feelings about your child driving back late at night. As your trusted agent and CT car insurance provider, we have taken it upon ourselves to put together a list of safe driving rules. It doesn’t hurt to share this list with your teen before the big night!
• Make sure both you and your passengers are wearing seat belts.
• If need be, print a map or use a GPS device to get you to your destination without any wrong turns or anxiety.
• While it may be tempting to chat with your date the entire car ride, make sure you are still focused on the road and not distracted from the drivers around you.
• NEVER get behind the wheel if you are intoxicated.
• Keep a cab’s number handy or call a friend or family member to pick you up if you are too tired or intoxicated.
• Wearing heels to the prom? Pack an extra pair of comfortable shoes to drive in.
• If you must take a call or text, pass your phone to the passenger. Texting is NOT worth your life!
• Keep a sharp eye for night time critters and even deer in the area. The later it is at night, the more of a chance you have running into an animal on the road.
• Also, keep an eye out for any swerving drivers. After dark, many people will be heading home from bars and may still be drunk. If you notice someone driving horribly, call the police to report it.
Regardless of prom night or not, you should always pass along driving safety tips to your teens; they are new to the road and need all the advice and experience they can get!
As a parent, it is also your responsibility to make sure your teen’s car is covered with CT car insurance. Do not hesitate to contact our agency for more information on discounts, premiums and free quotes!